Monday, April 14, 2008

Birding close to home

Since the wife is away at a conference and visiting friends (and has our car), any birding I do and have done while she's gone is confined to places I can reach on foot. As I noted in an earlier post, I am fortunate enough to have a couple of "bird oases" if you will within walking distance of my house.

Saturday, I took Henry the pug out for a walk in the morning to the ravine north of me, hoping for early warblers. No warblers. But I did see my first Hairy Woodpecker of the year for Ohio, so that was a bonus. Hermit thrushes were also present and at least three phoebes were singing away.

Later that day, I took Henry to the ravine south of me, which has been partly converted into a neighborhood park. It's not as birdy as the other one, since it has a lot of lawn space and not as much undergrowth, so I don't go there as often (even though it's closer). However, luck was with me and I saw my first Brown Creeper for 2008 - really cute little bird.

If it's not raining later, I'll hit the good ravine after work with Henry and see if anything new has moved in. I'm hoping for Yellow-rumped warblers at least!

No comments: