Monday, April 30, 2007

Awesome birding day on Saturday, 4/28/07

I went down to southern Ohio with my birding group, the Avid Birders, on Saturday. We left Columbus at 5:30am and started birding at the marina/golf course just outside Shawnee State Forest in Scioto County. This was my first birding trip to this location, which is a forested set of Appalachian foothill-type ridges.

I picked up a life bird on this trip, Yellow-Throated Vireo (#346), which isn't actually all that rare but is one of those birds that just eludes you for a while. I'm sure now that I've seen one, I will now see them everywhere, like I did with Blue-Headed Vireo last year. I also picked up a state bird, American Bittern, at a little wetland northwest of the Pickaway County Airport on the way back.

I had 18 species of warbler, pretty good list. I only heard Black-throated Greens, Ovenbirds, and Northern Parulas. In addition, I missed a couple warblers that others saw: Golden-winged Warbler (@#$%%@#!!!) and Yellow-breasted Chat.

Besides the birds, we had a good day for wildflowers and reptiles, too. After the main group split up, 7 of us went over to a nature preserve in Adams county which features lots of rare plants, like Indian paintbrush and Pink Lady's Slipper orchids, and I saw a fence lizard and the snake guy in the group found us a couple of Black King Snakes, which were pretty friendly. I took a couple pictures on my camera phone.


Pink Lady's Slipper

Black King Snake

In all, I had 71 species and birded for about 12 hours (including drive time). I added 31 species to my year list and 34 to my state year list, for totals of 165 for the year and 160 for Ohio.

Here's my list for the day (year birds in bold, Ohio year birds in italics):

Wood Duck

2

Blue-winged Teal

2

Ring-necked Pheasant

1

American Bittern

1

Great Blue Heron

1

Turkey Vulture

12

Broad-winged Hawk

2

Red-tailed Hawk

1

Killdeer

1

Greater Yellowlegs

2

Lesser Yellowlegs

5

Solitary Sandpiper

1

Wilson's Snipe

5

Chimney Swift

2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

1

Red-bellied Woodpecker

1

Downy Woodpecker

1

Northern Flicker

1

Pileated Woodpecker

1

Eastern Phoebe

2

White-eyed Vireo

2

Yellow-throated Vireo

1

Red-eyed Vireo

10

Blue Jay

2

American Crow

1

Horned Lark

10

Purple Martin

10

Tree Swallow

3

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

1

Barn Swallow

6

Carolina Chickadee

2

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

3

Wood Thrush

3

American Robin

10

Gray Catbird

1

Brown Thrasher

1

European Starling

X

Blue-winged Warbler

11

Northern Parula

2

Yellow Warbler

2

Chestnut-sided Warbler

3

Yellow-rumped Warbler

1

Black-throated Green Warbler

6

Blackburnian Warbler

1

Yellow-throated Warbler

2

Pine Warbler

3

Prairie Warbler

6

Cerulean Warbler

1

Black-and-white Warbler

1

American Redstart

15

Worm-eating Warbler

1

Ovenbird

12

Louisiana Waterthrush

1

Kentucky Warbler

1

Hooded Warbler

2

Scarlet Tanager

5

Eastern Towhee

15

Chipping Sparrow

1

Song Sparrow

2

White-throated Sparrow

1

White-crowned Sparrow

1

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

1

Blue Grosbeak

1

Indigo Bunting

1

Red-winged Blackbird

X

Eastern Meadowlark

1

Common Grackle

X

Brown-headed Cowbird

2

Orchard Oriole

2

Baltimore Oriole

1

American Goldfinch

2

No comments: