Friday, September 28, 2007

Sabine's Gull stopover

Recently, A Sabine's Gull spent about 3 days at Grand Lake St. Mary's, about 2 hours northwest of Columbus. I did not get to see this bird, as it showed up during the middle of a work week, and I had already missed a day for illness. This would have been a life bird for me. So it goes.

I am going to make my first trip to Conneaut next week, though. I have to be in Ashtabula on business, and it makes no sense to at least stop and check it out! Conneaut is practically in Pennsylvania and is about 3 or 4 hours from Columbus, so I've never gone up. Don't know what I will see, but it's a good spot for migrating shorebirds and a likely spot for odd gulls to show up.

Our next Avids trip is next weekend, but the forecast is for rain. I really hope it changes, as I haven't been out birding in a while. I didn't get the chance at all in Massachusetts (I'll be back out for Thanksgiving and I really want to make the effort to get out and do some birding one morning, though).

I also started to get some participants together for the birding trip I am leading to Sault Ste. Marie in January. So far, I have almost 8 people, which will fill up the trip. Should be a good time!

No comments: